Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Irony Alert

ConEd wants me to help save energy . . . by installing air-conditioning. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the best way to save energy to not have air conditioning? According to my calculations, the single fan that I use -- only when I'm at home, and only roughly four months a year -- costs at most 1 kwH a day ($0.13). A single window unit uses 20 to 30 times as much energy. Oh, and ConEd's "energy-saving program" requires participants to install at least two window units. I understand the principle of taking baby steps, sure, but they should be toward dependence on A/C--they should be away from it.

Well, at least all this mistaking-trees-for-forests will come in handy once we no longer have any forests.

To tie this into theater news, by the way, I must congratulate the Brick on getting a new A/C system just in time for their Too Soon Festival (and to prevent overheating during their upcoming Game Play Festival). But I will say that whereas audiences have sometimes been uncomfortable in the summer heat of the Brick, I was totally freezing the last time I was there. I warn you all in advance, since their shows are still totally worth seeing.

No comments: