Thursday, February 12, 2009

STUFF (To Do This Weekend) - 2/13-2/15

Tonight, go check out The Nonsense Company's Great Hymn of Thanksgiving/Conversation Storm. If my reviews (of the '08 FRIGID version and this '09 return) didn't convince you, how about this trailer?



If two innovative plays for the price of one didn't get your attention, how about adding on a talkback with Martin Denton and reducing the price to $10 (if you order online and use the code PS122)?

On Saturday, you can check out Chuck.Chuck.Chuck., an adaptation of Faulkner's As I Lay Dying. If you liked Elevator Repair Service's work on Sound and the Fury, you'll love this--Immediate Medium knocked my socks off by getting physical with it, and they even manage to convey a lot of the sub-stories surrounding the coffin-bearing main plot. The double-edged sword is that it always takes me longer to review something I loved (especially when that involves rereading a novel); thankfully, I can still urge you to go, review unread.

And on Sunday? Catch up on whichever of these you didn't see, and if you went to both, then reward yourself by snagging a cheap ticket to Speed the Plow (what with this being a holiday weekend and all); there's a reason why Raul Esparza was the only non-TV star to be cast, and as fantastic as low-mercury William H. Macy is (and he really is) and good as Elizabeth Moss has become (I enjoyed the second scene), watching Esparza's apoplectic third scene reminded me that revivals do have their place. (Alternatively, if you're looking for something new, I hear great things about Ruined.)

And remember, Call Cutta in a Box, that one-person show starring you, is still running through 2/27 at the Goethe-Institut. The most one can expect from theater is to have their perception altered a little (making theater a drug that is far healthier, long-lasting, and addictive than any other), and this immediate pen-pal experience with a call-center operator from India is a real eye-opener.

2 comments:

des said...

Saw Chuck, Chuck, Chuck at the opening. Great play production of Faulkner. Now the emotional power of this great writer is revealed thu fab staging and acting

Aaron Riccio said...

I'm glad that you had the chance to see this one; I hope that you took the opportunity to check out some of the other shows. And don't forget--if you see something really good; tell me about it.